Electrical Warning Signs that Require the Presence of Electricians

Electrical systems make modern living easier and more convenient. They make modern living luxurious and comfortable. It would be next to impossible to imagine modern living without electricity. Due to the considerable dependence of modern man to electricity, it can be a real inconvenience when the system starts experiencing problems.

While most of the issues you’ll encounter are minor enough that you can actually patch things up yourself, there are instances when the presence of an electrical expert is necessary. Here are some of the signs that you need to call an electrician.

Wiring is Overheating

Due to the ubiquitous nature of electricity, many people often forget how dangerous it could be without proper maintenance. Fire is the greatest risk that people are likely to encounter as a result of faulty wiring— something that could be effectively prevented if appropriate repairs are carried out.

wiring exposed wall

If you notice that the wiring is overheating, make sure to contact your handy electrician to address the problem before it exacerbates. Among the warning signs you should look into include:

  • Warm appliances
  • Warm walls
  • Scorch marks on the outlets
  • Smoke coming out of the system
  • Breaker failures
  • Smell of burning rubber

Flickering Lights

When lights flicker, there’s a good chance that there may be frayed wiring somewhere that is causing shorts. If you live somewhere that gets very windy, this could cause movement of the wires. This is quite risky since this may lead to fires. A good way to prevent this from happening is to have your wiring checked by a qualified electrician on a regular basis.

broken light bulb

Constant Tripping of Circuit Breakers

Circuit breakers play a crucial role in protecting your home against electrical fires. It also ensures that your appliances are protected from getting damaged due to surges. When you’re breaker trips, it’s normally due to an overload. This means that the amount of electricity that’s running through the circuit is way beyond its capacity. This could either be due to a circuit fault or by a rather heavy-load appliance.

Electrical Outlets and Switches Get Hot

It’s concerning when your electrical outlets and switches heats. If you notice any of your switches and outlets get hot, it is high time that you get an electrician to inspect it. There are instances when it could only be just one outlet that’s having a problem. So, always have your appliance plugged to a different outlet to truly determine if it isn’t the faulty one.

switches outlets messy

Sparks and Shocks Happening when Appliances are Turned On

Sparks are risky as they can cause fires. So, if you ever have outlets that seem to spark, make sure to have them checked immediately. Be wary of outlets and appliances that seem to spark often too as these are risks of electric shock. While this could be due to a problem with the appliance— if it is the outlet that’s causing the problem, then you’re better off referring to an electrician so they can determine what’s causing the problem and fix it or upgrade your system altogether.